FCA – investment platform study
The FCA has published the terms of reference for its Investment Platform Market study, here Head of Policy at Hargreaves Lansdown, Tom McPail comments:
‘The FCA has set a very broad scope for this study; the terms of what constitutes a platform can include online portals, life insurance companies, wealth managers and banks; in effect any organisation providing a retail investment service is likely to come under scrutiny.
This study recognises the vital service platforms now provide to millions of people, helping them to save and invest for their future. The advice gap remains and platforms have an important role to play in delivering guidance and support to investors, many of whom need help if they are to invest with confidence.
Platforms can also bring pressure to bear on asset management costs, negotiating discounts for investors, promoting good funds and highlighting poor performers. As with the asset management study, this paper is not simply about the price charged by retail investment service providers, it is about the value they deliver to investors.’
The study will:
– Be broad in scope, encompassing many of the products and services sitting between consumers at one end and fund managers at the other.
– Focus on all aspects of value experienced by consumers using platforms.
– Look at barriers to entry and competition within the platform market.
– Consider the impact of advisers.
– Look at entry and exit charges and barriers to switching.
– Examine the products and services available across platforms.
Click here for more details on the Investment platforms market study.
Powered by IFA Magazine
MOST READ INSIGHTS
Views, opinions or claims expressed on this website are those of the authors, and not necessarily the views of FundsLibrary. The content and information contained on the site should not be taken as advice. We accept no responsibility for loss incurred by any person on taking or refraining from action as a result of material contained herein.
All figures correct as at 01.02.2018.